We survived the first month! It was tough, but we made it and we learned a lot along the way. It's amazing how quickly you learn your baby's cues and what makes them happy. At first it feels like you'll never figure out what they need, but you do and it makes you feel like you could conquer the world.
There are a few things that I might not have survived the first few weeks without. I thought I'd share what we couldn't live without in the first month for any new moms or soon-to-be moms.
1. Halo Sleepsack Swaddles. We bought and registered for a ton of Aden+Anais swaddle blankets and we don't use them at all anymore. I tried to the first few days, but no matter how tight or how perfectly we swaddled him in them, he would sneak out!! For the price, I much prefer the swaddles with velcro. Henry isn't able to sneak out of them which is key for napping and sleeping. We have two Halo swaddles and I'd like one more for accidents/washing purposes. I swear he'd never sleep without them because of their startle reflexes. I know swaddles don't work for all babies, but for ours it's a MUST.
2. Our Motorola monitor. Since Henry is a noisy sleeper and we had to move him to his nursery, we definitely wouldn't want to go without this item. We bought the cheaper version. We didn't feel like we needed wifi or to be able to move the camera, and we definitely don't need either of those extras. The basics are just fine. With ours you can talk to him through the receiver, so far we haven't used that feature, maybe when he's older?
3. Fisher Price Rock N Play. This and the swaddles go hand and hand for us. We would not have survived the nights without this bad boy. This is the only place Henry will sleep for now. It vibrates which he loves and it keeps him upright JUST slightly. I will start transitioning him to his crib for naps soon, but for now this is a LIFE SAVER. Every baby is different, but H loves this.
4. Nature Valley Oats and Honey Bars. These have been great for me since I need something quick and easy. When I'm alone I don't have time to whip meals up so I need easy! These have a bonus-oats. Oats are great for your milk supply. Perfect. :)
5. LLI The Womanly Art of breastfeeding. For me, this is the only breastfeeding book I need. It has all the important pieces of breastfeeding. I refer to it all the time. It's a must have for BF mommas.
6. A half-caff Pumpkin Spice Latte. These little treats make the days just a liiiiittle bit easier. Caffeine!!!
7. What to Expect the First Year. Other than the La Leche book, this is the only other book I would have bought. I'd return all the others and get my money back if I could. :) I wouldn't buy What to Expect When You're Expecting, it was a waste. Everyone was sure to tell me what I'd expect during my pregnancy anyway. It makes so much more sense to read about what you're going to need to know for the next year of yours and your child's life. I knew nothing about what to expect when my baby actually got here.
8. Moby Wrap. I wouldn't be able to get anything done without this wrap. This allows me to have both of my hands free to do whatever I want while support my babe's little head. It keeps him close to my heart and chest and allows him to move around with me, which keeps him perfectly content. It's perfect for chores, walks and naps. :)
9. Kory is a 1 month favorite of mine. I can't imagine doing this without him. Babies require all hands on deck and I certainly appreciate my hubby's help.
I'm sure there was plenty more that helped us through that first month, but these are the things that really stuck out in my mind. Were there items that you couldn't live without in the first few weeks of your babe's life? Maybe you have something we could try. I'm interested to see what we'll need most in the next month.